Counseling and Consulting Available Globally
via secure online/video conference room
In Home Counseling Support
No matter where you are in the world – Global Shores Counseling comes to you. All you need to do is email or call, and set up a time to meet through secure video conferencing. Don’t have internet access? We can offer consulting and counseling through phone conferencing as well.
About Julia Loren & Koa the K9 Counselor
Julia Loren offers compassionate counseling techniques gained over 20 years of counseling young adults, career professionals, single/separated/divorced/widowed individuals, military families on base and off (CONUS and OCONUS), school-aged children and families around the world.
She is an author as well as a sought after retreat speaker who has facilitated creative, empowering retreats around the world.
She has specific expertise in:
- animal assisted therapy
- anxiety and panic attacks
- apathy and depression
- substance use and abuse
- relationship counseling – divorce, separation
- school-aged children/teens (anxiety, depression, social skills, traumatic events and transitions)
- women and work/life stressors
- military family stressors (CONUS and OCONUS)
- ex-pat stressors and work/life issues
- managing transitions
- critical incident response and recovery – natural disasters, community incidents and war trauma
- stressors related to singleness and solo living;
- religious transitions, trauma and spiritual abuse.
Julia has a B.A in journalism (University of Washington) and a Masters in Counseling (Seattle Pacific University). She is a licensed professional mental health counselor in Florida and Washington State and is National Board certified. She has extensive experience with critical incident response and recovery such as attending to schools’ post-shooting incidents, working with FEMA in the aftermath of disasters / hurricanes, and counseling military families on military bases around the world. She holds current certifications as a Certified Telehealth Practitioner in Florida, and is an Integrative Mental Health Practitioner, as well as trained in interventions using Animal Assisted Therapy.
Therapeutic modalities used:
- Positive Psychology
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Interpersonal psychotherapy (brief therapy)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Gottman Marriage and Relationship Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing to enhance willingness to embrace change
- Substance use moderation to cessation therapy
- Spiritual Psychology and Faith-based counseling techniques
About Koa – The K9 Counselor
Koa’s name means brave and fearless in Hawaiian and he certainly is! A Portuguese Water dog, Koa was born in August 2021. He loves hiking in the mountains, kayaking and paddle boarding, chasing birds, and swimming in lakes and oceans. He has a pretty fun life that includes continuous training.
Koa is trained as a psychiatric service dog focusing on PTSD interventions. He is also trained as a therapy dog.
Assisting Julia in therapy with children and adults – clients find a little more joy and Aloha (love) when Koa comes on the scene. Just the act of stroking his soft fur calms anxiety, lifts the spirit out of depression, and gives those in crisis a way to get grounded fast as they interact with Koa. Koa has a way of building the bridge of trust and helping people open up more quickly. Sometimes, talk therapy begins without words – with gentle strokes of Koa’s soft fur helping children and adults get centered. Often, during remote counseling sessions, Koa has a way of popping in at the right time and we encourage discussion about how clients may work with their own pets to facilitate healing.
We work together to help clients connect with their own animals in therapeutic ways – and understand how the human-animal bond can be used to promote great insights and deep healing. Koa is a valuable asset in the office and on the road during workshops.
For information and to schedule an initial consult, please contact Julia directly:
You cannot change your past, but the future awaits your intentional design.